Monday, September 27, 2004

One Step Back Three Steps Forward

Ok so I let go a little be this past weekend. But as I reflect, which I commonly do, I realize that everything He has for me has purpose. This past weekend we (the bruhs and TS) roadtripped up to Knoxville for UT's Homecoming. Details to follow:

Friday: Well I took off work early in order to beat traffic. We got there around 4:15, just in time to make it to the Bruhs cookout. I have never really met any of them, but I know them from the list serve we are all on, so that made the aquaintness more at ease. We hung out there and ate good. Afterwards we did our normal, riding around to get a feel for the town, so we don't get lost once the sun goes down. There was a comedy show, hosted by Bill Bellamy (I wonder do yall remember him?). It was better than I had expected, although some of his jokes carried over far too long in my opinion. I think the coolest part was that he has a roll call of all the greeks, and when he asked where all the Alpha's were....the ENTIRE Ampitheate errupted. Sounded like the trumpets in Revelations, lol...just jokin. The Bruhs had a party that night at the Howard Johnson Hotel, which was a good source of fun, but I really didn't feel like dancing (I never really do...*set up for saturday*). We party hopped/strolled a good bit, then left around 3am. Now I was thinking that I was going to get a little sleep since the step show as at 1pm the next afternoon, but by the time we got back to EH's apartment, he was like hey, let go to the AKA's place, they still up getting ready for the stepshow. So we went down there....had a blast, and ended up not leaving till ohh....5:30am!!!! Got back to EH"s and listened to all the bruhs crack jokes till the sun came up. By then everyone was sleep.....

Saturday: ...9:45...we were back, up, & at it again. After breakfast at Burger King, we hit up the stepshow at 1pm. Those AKA's....the same ones from the night before......lit up the show...best showing of AKA's I've ever seen. The bruhs came in 2nd, and of course the AKA's won for the sororities. After the Stepshow, there was a cookout at EH's place.....good food....free food. Although I must thank EH though, cause I dunno if I could have dealt with 8 grown men up in my living room sleeping, lol. After we ate all the food, we headed to the Kappa's party. Now as I said before, I don't usually dance, but for some odd reason, I just felt the need to let go....lol. So needless to say, I gained my Partyhoppin-grinding-steppin-mellowed out shoes that night. I haven't danced (and in turn sweated) that much in years, lol...well from dancing at least. I met a few people, got some contact information from a few people, and some networking opportunities as well. So we leave the party around 3:30 again, and somehow end up back on campus..."again". So now its like 4:30 or 5:00 "am". Its me, SL, KM, and RM. OK...KM was as drunk as they come...and somehow manages to find these two dudes playing basketball at 5 in the morning.....and asks them to play He and I in two-on-two at 5:00 IN TH E MORNING!!!!!!! Needless to say...we lost! So we got home just in time for us not to watch the sun coming up again.

Sunday:

After over sleeping.....having to get a wrecker for my frats car, getting my cell phone turned off, turned back on, and not leaving knoxville till 3:45pm.....I was gone after we got back at 6:15. And to make it even worse, I promised MG that I would go to Apache Cafe with her last night.....I've been dying to go for the last two maybe even three months. So we get there at a reasonable hour, and manage to find a seat on the sofa near the back of the room. On sunday nights they have a Spoken Word open mic session. Comparing it to the Jam Sessions on Wednesday night....I'd have to give the Poetry nite the nod. The atmosphere was just way more relaxed. And I enjoyed hanging out with MG, cause there is no undercover issues going on...we talk about folx we are both interested in or lack there of......and we both keep it real...so that way there are never any issues about us. The show lasted till around maybe 11pm I guess, but we left at 10:30, since we both had to be up this morning. We stopped at AppleBee's for dinner, and really got a chance to converse about "real" issues, which is something that so many females lack these days. I finally made it home at 12:30am, and went straight to sleep!

I over slept this morning, didn't get to work till 8:00 and then turned around and missed my 8:30 Safery Meeting...and now I'm soooooooooooo sleepy....I wish 4pm would hurry and get here, so I can go home and get about an hour sleep before "class" tonight.

Even though I kinda wilded out this weekend, it really put so much into prospective. Showed me a variety of things: 1. You can have a blast, and not get drunk, 2. There are other normal people in the world. 3 Those normal people have the same desires that you have, yet they have no clue how to convey that to you.

Yall be safe as Jeanne makes her way through Georgia

KJD
"Character is defined as what we do when no one else is watching"

1 comment: