Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cool Breeze

Today's Irony:

So I get up this morning, after hitting the snooze a couple of times, and get ready for another day at work. I walk to work, which is so convenient. Not to trip, but I get to see all of the other downtowners riding in their F450's, Hummers, Magnum's, and all of the other gas guzzlers on the road. So as I'm leaving my place (5 mins late), I hit the door downstairs and start my walk towards the building, 4 blocks away. As I get to the first crosswalk, it hits me that the weather this morning was GREAT! Mid 70's in the mid-Atlantic. Cool breeze, as if you're walking on the beach, which by the way isn't too far away. I tried to savor those 7 mins this morning. Before I had to come in here and have a complete 180 turned on me. And it isn't that I don't like my job, because I do. I know it's hard some people to say that they actually "like" their job, but I do like mine. I still get to communicate with others in the company, and I feel as though my work makes an impact on decisions. But it's the people yall. These people have issues. (disclaimer: I know I have issues too, lol, but not like this). Whether its being out for their own self interests, or not wanting to see others succeed because they are afraid it'll show the truth, that they are slacking. Or whether it's the political games that are played in order to see who can get the next large pay bump. I know the world says that this is how corporate america is, but I just can't buy into it. I got a call from a old colleague back in Atlanta yesterday. Once he realized that I was up here, his first words were, stick in there and play the game; you'll be the first black EVP. Well that sounds all well and good, but truth be told, if the "game" is the only way I can get to be an EVP, well I don't know how fulfilling that is. I know there are those that'll say "suck it up, and help the next man", but it just doesn't sit well on my conscious.

So at 12:30, I decided to head back home for lunch. Made me this great grill chicken salad, with tomatoes and cucumbers. Topped with Fat-Free Italian dressing. But that's not the point. So 1:20pm comes around and it's time to go back to work. I go down the stairs of the building, to the front door, and walk outside. Now I was thinking that the weather would have heated up by noon, and I didn't even realize it on the way home, but the weather was still GREAT! Mid 70's still, and the same cool breeze that was saying to me...Kj....don't go to work, it's a nice day outside, lol. Needless to say I'm here, back at work, dealing with these same people, again.

Can't wait to hear back from Beta Alpha Eta......I think it's time "something" new.

Keep Thanking God
Kj

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*praying for you*

Anonymous said...

*Thinking about all the money you are saving, walking to work, eat lunch at home*

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear what's been going on in your life since....