(head phones on....smooth jazz echoing)
So today is June 17th, 2010; and for the first time in the 3 years that I've lived in the Mid Atlantic, I will be traveling to Atlanta.....stress free (for the most part). Tomorrow morning I'll get up, load up the car, slip in some smooth jazz, and begin my 9hr drive down the east coast. You see, this weekend is the annual greek picnic in Atlanta. And while I am Greek, I really don't go for the "festivities". I tend to go to surround myself with familiar faces, familiar voices, and familiar friendships. In the past, when I've made trips to Atlanta I've always felt as though I had to be on "someone" elses schedule. Whether it was someone I was dating at the time, or the "bruhs" who wanted to do this or do that. But this time....this time, I found a nice hotel, in a quaint area of metro Atlanta.....I get to drive on my own time and at my own pace. I get to choose whether or not to stop in Augusta and visit Brown Sugar (childhood best friend) and her family. I guess I'm rambling, but no one knows how bad I just need to get away, if only for a few days. This year (2010) has been a roller coaster year...with many high points, and a few low points. But sometimes, between those high and low points, you just want to put the cell phone down, cut the news off, close the laptop.....and listen to silence.
Speaking of listening to silence, this notion came to me a few days ago as I went for a "walk" at a local park. You see, for 2010 I've been on this whole idea of "losing" weight. So typically when I excercise it's running or some variation of it. Well this one particular day I decided to "walk"....mostly because my knee was killing me, but also because I had quite a few things on my mind. Well in the midst of my walk, when no one else was near me on the track, I felt as though I could hear "silence". I know it sounds strange, but when your life is consumed with hustle and bustle; fixing this problem and that problem; answering this question and that question....silence actually has a "sound" and I have to admit that I'm so feeling that sound. I remember it quite well. I was coming around a curve, and for whatever reason all the joggers, baby strollers, etc....had disappeared. For about 2 good minutes, all I heard was silence, no birds, not dogs, no crying babies. It was as if everything had slowed down....and what's even crazier, it was as if my soul silently said......thank you.
So tomorrow I make this 9hr journey....of peace, of laughter, of fun....but most importantly in search of another 2 minutes of listening to silence.
My Journey
1 comment:
Woo-hoo! Glad you're back. I'm trying to get in the groove but can't. I'm still gonna post more than once a year though. lol
Post a Comment